Friday, July 18, 2014

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

For years now I have been meaning to finally sit down and watch this movie. I've always had a love for WWII genre movies, starting when I was little and my mom watched "The Great Escape" and "U-571" with me. I used to pour through autobiographies in the library, written by survivors, as well as avidly watch video interviews. So I am not entirely sure why I didn't want to watch TBitSP, maybe because it was exciting knowing I had a good movie I could look forward to seeing...anyway...

I have a love of shocking movie/book endings, and wow, this one was extremely emotional and impacting. It left me with a pit in my stomach, and yet the satisfaction of knowing that it caused Rolf extreme pain. This was an amazing stance to take on the Holocaust. With so many movies such as "Schindler's List", "The Pianist", and "Sophie's Choice" where the victims are the main focus, it's fascinating seeing the other side. Not to say it's a sympathetic view, but it does shine light on how many people who might technically be classified as Nazis, had no idea what was happening under their noses. It would be wrong to classify Bruno as anything other than a victim. His father may be responsible, but he is naive and entirely innocent of anything other than being a curious child. Showing Gretal slowly be brainwashed also gives a softer example of propaganda, and how easily some people are taken into it.

Aside from "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas", I've really enjoyed "The Pianist" and "Empire of the Sun". Empire of the Sun bases itself in Japan during WWII, and follows the son of wealthy British socialites as he is rounded up and placed in camps with other fellow upperclass society. The main character Jaime, shares so many personality traits with Bruno, and is heartbreaking watching their innocence be completely tarnished through wartime.

No comments:

Post a Comment